Tuesday, June 07, 2005

ONE.org



Let me begin on a tangent. I promise I will get to the point.

I am sitting here watching TV. How exciting :( Ads flash by. More Ads flash by. And then some more.

The Ads all seem to have a common thread. Almost all them are pharmaceutical. Medications for acid reflux, gas, bloating, indigestion, constipation, pain relief, migraine, arthritis, adult ADD, depression, ED treatment, colon health, diabetes, cholesterol, Alzheimer's, osteoporosis, birth control patches, tampons and menopause.

Millions of dollars are spent each year on market research. Advertisement and product placements are high precision affairs these days. That makes me a little uneasy. I wonder.... Do I need to start thinking about all these conditions ?. I know I am getting old. But ....

Enough of gibberish. Getting back to the point.

There was this one Ad that made a whole lot of sense. A very very white background, celebrity faces phase in and out. It is very difficult to miss the Ad. It is for ONE.org

A long list of celebrities (Bono & Brad Pitt to name a two) urging the G8 nations to help Africa. Fair trade, debt relief, fighting corruption and directing additional resources for basic needs...– education, health, clean water, food, and care for orphans at a cost equal to just ONE percent more of the US budget

The campaign is not about individual donations. It is about what G8 countries can do. Worth checking out. Most def !

PS. All I was watching was the world news!!

No comments: